Saturday, January 11, 2014

Baked Squash and Apples With Ginger and Pecans

1 golden nugget squash (or other winter squash)
2 tart apples (I used Braeburn)
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup chopped pecans
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Peel and cut up the squash (I got about 3 cups from mine) and the apples into a large bowl.  Make sure the pieces are reasonably close to the same size.
  3. Melt the butter and mix in the ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  4. Pour butter mixture over the squash and apples and mix well.
  5. Pour into a buttered baking dish.
  6. Cover the dish with a lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove lid or foil.  Sprinkle pecans over the squash and apples and bake, uncovered, for 25 more minutes, or until squash is tender.
This is something that could probably go either savory or sweet.  Since it has the pepper in it, and no sugar, it looks like it's going in the savory direction.  When I first tasted it, it felt like it would be better with a little brown sugar, but as I ate more of it, I got used to the taste and kind of liked it less sweet the way it came out.  I also cut way back on the ginger from the original recipe (which called for 2 tablespoons).  I haven't used fresh ginger before, and I didn't want to use too much, because 2 tablespoons sounded like a lot.  But I couldn't taste the ginger much, so maybe I'll increase it to 2 teaspoons or a tablespoon.  As far as working with the squash, I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.  Then I cut it into wedges to cut the peel off.  Squash is a little hard to work with, but it's so good for you!


Here is the website where I found the original recipe:

http://experiencelife.com/article/winter-squash-recipes-techniques-and-more/

No comments:

Post a Comment