Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pumpkin Butter

2 cups pumpkin puree
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger

  1. Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.
  2. Cook on low for one to two hours, or until it has started to cook down a little and get thicker and turn brown.
  3. Take the lid off the crockpot and leave it to cook and thicken for another hour or two.
  4. After the butter has cooled, transfer it to airtight containers or jars. 
  5. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
I still had a couple pumpkins I had bought in October, so last night (after I got the call about the snow day), I roasted them in the oven and used the puree for this recipe.  (See the Pioneer Woman link below about "Making Your Own Pumpkin Puree.)  Last night I mixed the ingredients together and put it in the fridge for today.  Today when I cooked it in the crock pot I ended up not really paying attention to the time.  It seemed to be taking awhile, but it was starting from very cold rather than room temperature.  It smelled wonderful while it was cooking!  In step 3, I had the lid partially on the crock pot because I wasn't sure if it would splatter.  I think it took about 4 hours or so to get to where I wanted it.  The pumpkin butter turned out sweet, and the spices didn't seem very strong to me.  I could definitely taste the maple, though.  Next time I might use less maple syrup and more brown sugar.  I looked at several different recipes (see some of the links below) to compare.  Some used only brown sugar, some used white and brown, some used more maple syrup, and one of them called for honey.  There was also a range of spice amounts and types.  There was also a wide range of how long you can keep it in the fridge, from "up to a week" to "up to two months."  I probably won't worry about it too much.  I will have to make some more raisin bread to use with the pumpkin butter!


http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/113417/Pumpkin-Butter/detail.aspx

http://recipesthatcrock.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-butter/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pumpkin-Butter/?ALLSTEPS

No comments:

Post a Comment